PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-09, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Galron
Staff Sergeant

Re: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD

Pros:

The base game engine gets optimized to be run on a terrible single thread IPC performing jaguar 8 'module' CPU. (they ARE NOT full 8 cores, they are 8 modules, look it up.) Hey, if they can make it run smooth for the Jag, the sub par AMD desktop systems and lower end intels should get a boost too.

most 3d data should be straight up compatible, with perhaps only getting exported in a different data structure/format. So major content gets streamlined to both systems quickly.

If they swing a deal to get it preinstalled on all systems, it would massively broaden the audience of the game. more content and more resources for both.

Cons.

Splits community, even though Id love to hose down those console jockeys, its best if they dont get wiped off the face of auraxis, because they would quit and never spend money unless they sold virtual Kleenex for station cash to wipe up all the thumbstick users tears.

Experience compromised, I dont think they will be able to get the full PC experience into the PS2 form, so i see some compromises, 1080, 30 hz seems the max realistic goal here, with something landing around medium settings.

Overall

I think PS2 is shaping up great as it is now, and I think if we were coming out of beta for PC right now with this content, PS2 would have had a much more successful launch. I think in the next few months the playerbase stabilizes, at least with the game updates coming honestly at a very frantic pace compared to other MMOs. Balances are done not too fast, but the major ones are addressed eventually. New cool features come along and keep us interested.

I still sub, and am looking forward to another triple cash event/ big sale around the 4th of July where I and others will drop some more cash to help the devs.