PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Fairness in Holiday Representation / Auraxian Holidays
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-18, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Talking Fairness in Holiday Representation / Auraxian Holidays

This is an idea, but it requires community discussion. I've placed it here instead of in the ideas section for that reason.

For years I've seen games tack on Xmas decorations on or around Xmas. Even old single-player pre-internet games. Easter, St. Patrick's Day, these also get a lot of representation in games. Hanukkah is actually a celebration of a military victory, so it makes way more sense for war games than a holiday about being nice and sharing gifts. I understand that Xmas is pretty widely celebrated in most places where PlanetSide 2 will be played, but I don't think that is a reason to just follow along with usual status quo for holidays in games.

I want to ask that we see fairness in holiday activities and celebrations. If we have Xmas, have Hanukkah as well. Heck, throw in Festivus too. If we do St. Patrick's Day, do Purim as well (holiday about battling oppression, celebrated by getting drunk). If Easter, do Passover as well (which is also about battling oppression). And don't stop there, include other holidays that are not often represented, just so long as folks who want that holiday represented actually come forward and ask for it.

Otherwise, I'd recommend looking into entirely new holidays. Why should Auraxians be tethered to the old Earth holidays? Discovery Day (when Auraxis was discovered), Touchdown Day (first humans on Auraxis), those should be holidays. December could be full of candles and gifts to represent the celebration between Discovery Day and Touchdown Day (which essentially became January 1st of Year 1 on Auraxis). Maybe for St. Patrick's Day and Purim is the day of celebration when the first NS structure was completed amid early TR and NC conflict, complete with commemorative green beer and triangular cookies. New holidays don't even have to be based on current ones, either.

I'd like to ask for the community to weigh in on this topic and add suggestions, comments, concerns, questions, etc. Thanks!
-
-
-