PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Dear SOE, Protips on how to make your game better
View Single Post
Old 2014-04-10, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Re: Dear SOE, Protips on how to make your game better

Ok, now i don't play PS2 anymore, but i just have to comment on this mission system thing (as it was the last new "feature" i -had to- experience myself).

I really cannot follow this "they have to shove a work-in-progress down our throats" line of thinking.
"People would never use the mission system if it wouldn't be forced on"...why put it into the smegging game then?? If nobody is going to use it, shouldn't this tell you something? Like, it's not needed? Or wanted?

And if it's going to be so cool you will want to use it later on, why not put it onto the LIVE server in a more advanced state when it's not actually obstructing the gameplay? Isn't that what a TEST SERVER is for? Which they have? Hell, they could have just made a youtube video of it to get feedback, it wasn't exactly heavy on features that couldn't be explained in a short video.
Shouldn't the live server be for, i dunno, playing the damn game rather then testing WIP? Why are people paying money for this game instead of being paid if they are just testing the product? If they are so worried nobody wants to test their stuff, why not give people an incentive to do so then instead of just forcing it upon them? A special "mission system tester" title could be worn as a badge of honor, people would be in awe of your bravery.

How is making your gameplay experience worse "the right way to go" when there are obvious alternatives (option to turn it off, test server, video + forum) that are being used in any other game?

Now i'm not saying PS2 won't benefit from this feature later on (in fact it can become something really useful if they put the work and effort into it - you can basically turn every tactic into a mission; "Pull a max and jump into a gal" - 200 xp, etc.), but this way of developing it has to be one of the worst ways i have seen in a while.

"Here is a feature we just have started, it won't do anything yet besides annoy you, but since nobody uses our test server or we just forgot we have one we just put it on the live server instead. And since we know the feature still sucks major balls and nobody in his right mind would want to use it in its current state we won't allow you to turn it off."

Last edited by Babyfark McGeez; 2014-04-10 at 08:18 PM.