PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-21, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

I don't like Mechs because of their obvious design flaws. They are over complicated and attempt to fill the same role as a tank, which fills the role better given the same technology level.

Examples Why:
More surface area that needs to be armored, thus more weight needed to get the same amount of armor as a tank (which is essentially a box and has higher surface to area ratio.)
Legs would have to have weaker armor in order to walk around and yet, the mechs would be reliant on them to work at all. If you take out a tank tread, it can still fire. If you take out a Mech leg, it falls down and while it may not be destroyed, it won't be able to do anything. True, treads are a vulnerability as well, but treads can be more easily armored then legs.

So why bother? Just take whatever guns you wanted and put it on a tank. It would be more effective then a Mech.

Maxes and thus powersuits make sense. Essentially a small infantry like tank that has the better parts of infantry, but with the better parts of armor.

However, I will admit that Mechs are cool. But I don't think they are that cool, and I am not a fan of them being on Planetside. BFRs hurt. They didn't do all the damage, but they are a shining example of how the PS team just didn't get it. I defended every decision that they made including the BFRs, but when the reality of the BFRs struck, I lost hope. Like I said in another thread, they gave us BFRs before many of the cool things that we asked for and eventually got (and those things we asked for were cool.)

Essentially, because BFRs hurt so much and they are so much a symbol of the downfall of PS1, we shouldn't have them in PS2. Just as I wouldn't hang pictures of my ex-wife in the house where my new wife and I live.

Last edited by Headrattle; 2011-07-21 at 08:31 AM.