PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - New Outfits for Planetside
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-09, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Re: New Outfits for Planetside

I played PS1 from the beta until... 1.5 years in? Something like that? I took my first hiatus around half a year after BFRs were added.

People didn't really specialize at all in my experience. Maybe someone would have MAX and you'd see them with a MAX suit and they'd need an engineer tool nearby, but your average infantry guy was totally self-sufficient. Could hack, heal/repair, take on infantry or vehicles, etc. PS2 requires far more teamwork.

You didn't need infils for ghost capping. Usually it'd be just one guy in a reaver or mosquito who'd fly back and start the cap on the base and then leave. Of course, once they added the lattice that changed and instead you'd get ghost gen drops, but still. Not something that needed an infil. In fact, I don't think the infil backpack could carry enough boomers to drop a gen, could it? You'd need to make a trip back to the terminal. At least in PS2 they can actually contribute to a fight in a meaningful way. Between the hacks, the radar gun, and SMGs/sniper rifles, they're very decent.

Anyway, it was a bad game and I'm amazed anyone would want to play it over PS2.

Harassers were simple cheap transportation
Who ever used harassers for transport? That's what certing into reaver was for. You got the best transport in the game, plus the best combat vehicle, plus the best way to hot drop on towers. Once they buffed the mosquito's nose gun into a death laser that became alright, too. Seriously though, if you wanted to move around the map you flew or despawned and respawned where you wanted to go. Crazy to imagine anyone using a harasser to move around most of the maps in the game. What'd you do on Ceryshen?

capping bases in PS1 is way better then PS2, the bases in PS1 were too small sure, but the bases in PS2 are way too fucking big, never mind that the base design in PS2 is terrible and encourages camping in vehicles, and there are 0 chokepoints which makes defense a joke.
You're a madman. Yeah, trying to force my way through the two doors into the CC/gen area with 30 people shooting down anyone that moves through them was sure fun. Oh, wait, no, it was just tedious. The bases had many easy choke points and any serious defense was an absolute slog. Boring and frustrating together. The only time taking a defended base was acceptable was when you were with a decent outfit and did a big surge/MAX crash to the CC/gen.

As for PS2, you can't really camp in vehicles in PS2 bases. LAs will C4 you easily. I've never had a problem with vehicles in PS2 bases. I don't like biolabs because they're reminiscent of PS1 bases, where you have people dying and spawning and dying again within the space of a minute, trying to force their way through a couple narrow chokepoints to get to the SCU. Other than that, they're way more fun that PS1 base attacks/defenses ever were.

Last edited by Warborn; 2013-04-09 at 04:25 PM.