PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Tribes F2P Business Model - PS2 Impact
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-30, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Tribes F2P Business Model - PS2 Impact

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
So $10 for a few cosmetics is more offensive to you than 15/month in perpetuity?
$10 for a few cosmetics isn't offensive to me (in fact, I suggested being able to get a few cosmetic items for $10 earlier in the thread). Hell, $10 for one cosmetic item isn't offensive to me, but I'd never consider buying it.

That's probably the disadvantage of F2P + cash shop. A subscription feels like you're paying for access to the game, 24/7 support, ongoing development, in-game GMs, server maintenance etc. Yet buying a hat just feels like buying a hat. It's a mandatory payment to support the game versus a voluntary payment to get something specific that you want. The motivation for each one is different.

Starving students/children are keen on paying 180/year for current MMO's, why would they suddenly have a problem droping significantly less for something to make their avatar look the way they want?
Convincing a parent to pay $15 for the ability to play the game is easier to swing than getting them to pay 2/3rds of that for a single pretty gun. They will see far less worth in the latter.

As far as students, I'm pretty sure they aren't "keen" on paying $180/year for an MMO, it's just that they have to if they want to play the game. Still, it's not unusual to see students unsub or opt out of playing sub games due to the monetary requirements.

It's a free game. You pay nothing to play it.
If you want customization, pay up sucker.
$10 is not a lot of money to spend on a video game. An MMO no less.
"Sucker" probably isn't the word to use if you're trying to convince someone that $10 isn't too much.

I do feel like my point is somewhat being missed here though. It's not that $10 is extortionate (though, again, I could buy some great games for $10), it's that I think SOE will profit more from lower prices, which means more variety in game (more people will cosmetic items), cheaper prices for us and more money for SOE to improve the game with.