PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Virtual Reality Training [Try before you buy]
View Single Post
Old 2011-02-22, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
GoldDragon
Corporal

Re: Virtual Reality Training

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Sure, put a few proper bases in the VR for outfits to train with, but there needn't be a whole lot to that.. Ultimately training in a simulation of a simulation is pointless. There are few enough downsides to losing in game. Just go and do it.
I see your point here, and I do agree that a "simulation of a simulation" isn't necessarily ideal. Here's my counter though, the current player base is very familiar with the controls and game play of PlanetSide so these training scenarios aren't necessarily appealing. However assuming SOE plans on expanding the player base (marketing ftw maybe?...) these new recruits might appreciate a facility that they-and their friends-can practice working together against AI. While that is far from the true feel of PlanetSide it will allow them to have a more realistic expectation of what they'll find in the battlefield.

Yes, an outfit can adopt players and teach them but from my experiences not every new player (or current player) knows or wants that. Some find satisfaction in learning on their own. This is more about offering options to players and giving outfits (my personal reason for wanting this) a training ground to develop and refine tactics.

My final thing is that I don't see everyone wanting to just jump in and die. I believe I've said this before but the opening player base is not going to be a bunch of newbies but a large percentage of highly experienced players, this can make learning and starting a game disheartening, even with PlanetSide keeping the playing field relatively even.