PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: New Conglomerate Interview with Matt Higby
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-01, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Re: New Conglomerate Interview with Matt Higby

From Interview:

The New Conglomerate was initially formed on Earth, as a mega-collective of civilian corporations who worked alongside the Terran Republic government on virtually every project throughout the solar system.
The N.C. was formed for the sole purpose of infiltrating President Connery's expedition to the Moon Belt, as can be seen here.

This entry is of particular note:

Date: July 10, 2630

I’m not sure if becoming a political party in opposition to the T.R. is the best way to go, but I am proposing bringing business, unions and, well, yes, even the mercenaries together in sort of a new conglomerate. Without engaging our services, Connery won’t be able to get to his rooftop penthouse, let alone the Moon Belt.

Time Line:

As we can see the early plans for the N.C. were first brought up in 2630, one year before Connery's expedition to the Moon Belt in 2631. And only ten years before entering the wormhole [the fleet entered the wormhole on October 20, 2640], hardly enough time to work alongside the Terran Republic "on virtually every project throughout the solar system.".

Purpose:
The main goal of the N.C. was to infiltrate Connery's expedition to the Moon Belt and reap the benefits of any findings there. As Connery wanted nothing to do with these businessmen, the N.C. was formed as a clandestine organization.
The N.C.'s stated aim was to gain control within Connery's expedition through his finances, fleet works, and guardian services without Connery's knowledge.

The notion that the N.C. was a quasi-government contractor working shoulder to shoulder with the T.R. is incongruent with the necessities of their purpose.

Interview:
After arriving on Auraxis, the New Conglomerate continued to work along with the Terran Republic on shaping and building up the new world.
Lieutenant Commander Brent Waterson:
The majority of that ‘small fraction’ we’ve been throwing into Explorer-5’s jail have connections to that New Conglomerate group. ... There were half a dozen casualties in that housing ship just last week. What happens when your daughter ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time? The N.C. is going to tear this fleet apart.
As we read here Lt. Commander Waterson is fully aware of the ongoing and escalating danger that the N.C. posed to the fleet. Not only that but from the following excerpt it is clear that Waterson, who became the provisional commander after the murder of Connery, intended to blame the N.C. for the act:

Who would question us if we pinned it on some of Mattherson’s starving N.C. cronies? We’re calling the shots here, remember? I trust that you’ll comply, given the terms of our agreement, correct?” Waterson said, grinning at his victory.
The leadership of that time was at mortal odds with the N.C., and it is unbelievable that the people who blamed the N.C. for the murder of a beloved figure would be willing, or able, to work with them.

Ain't I a stinker?