Thread: What a travisty
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-01, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #126
n2q0_matrix
Contributor
Corporal

Re: What a travisty

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Yes let's have the private sector run schools cost efficiently with 500 children to one teacher, with 20 year old school books and a curriculum created by an independent entity with a corporate agenda where you can buy advertisement time into the curriculum for your religion, candy, games and political preferences. Oh and of course you will be charged more or not need to attend at all, because that is freedom in a free market.

No public oversight should be used cause it takes away your freedom and all that...
The oversight should be done by those with skin in the game...parents, or their hired agents that specialize in education analysis. There are lots of was to skin this cat, without just taking what the government allots us and claims is good.

The thing about the private sector or free market is that customers tend to get what they want, or the company goes out of business. So as a parent I would choose a school for my child that has a demonstrable track record and small class size. If my child was not doing well, I would find out why and if it was the school I would take them out and find another that would serve my child better. Try doing that in public school...well, if they finally let you. There is a mother in prison for putting down a different address so her kid could go to a better school. The government frowns on lying, choice too. She is actually in prison for that. Seriously...this is acceptable?

I started college at 15 and finished HS in 3 years. You should have heard the arguments from one of the high-schools I went to and their "logic" as to why I couldn't do what I wanted to, which was graduate early. One of them didn't want to honor my work done in college as equivalent to the "mandated" curriculum. It wasn't until I said to the Principal "You keep saying that I cannot do this, so show me the rule that says that.", that they said they could and would. It is funny how they were not interested in what was best for me, but rather what was easiest for them. This was a very nice high school in an affluent part of Orange County, CA. The crap high school I previously went to in Riverside, CA was very helpful in getting me started on that track.