PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Dual wield pistols yes or no?
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-05, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Hypevosa
Sergeant

Re: Dual wield pistols yes or no?

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
The spread on the shotgun is going to kill you long before you even get a chance to get enough shots off on somebody. I noticed that your are a VS player. Let me put it this way. Expect to see lots of NC players running with the JH (Jack Hammer) in close range combat inside the Facilitys. I can tell you right now your not going to win.

Another thing I think you need to take into consideration. This isn't going to be 1v1 like your typical BF or COD game. Its not gonna be just one guy sitting there by his lonesome. Its gonna be 10+ guys realistically all with JH's in their hand ready to make Swiss cheese out of you. The dual pistols really have no place in this game. I'm trying to look at it from your point of view but they just have no place. There is no role for them to filll that isn't already taken. You already have other weapons for close to medium range that are going to be a lot more effective. You don't bring pistols to a indoor fight, you bring a shotgun. You don't have to be as accurate and the spread on the pellets are a lot more forgiving.

If your doing CY fighting your gonna bring a SMG or your primary AR. It just going to kill better. You also need to remember that the bulk majority of the players you see inside the facility's in CQB are going to be wearing REXO and MAX armor. They are not going to be easy to take down. Why limit your self to 2 pistols that are doing mediocre damage to these guys when you can carry a bigger boom stick that's gonna get the job done more efficiently.
See, I'm coming from an infiltrator's perspective with the dual wield. I want to get in close and find lone people or a small group of 2 or 3 on patrol and take them out, and the camo would let me get close enough for that to kill them up close and finish them off if they run. A light assault who made proper use of their vertical space might also be able to get the jump on such patrols (pun intended), and will futher be able to make good use of it since they have the special grenades that obscure peoples' ability to find them and retaliate. It's the reason I mentioned earlier that having slight mobility bonuses such as no turn speed limit and a very small speed bonus (like 5%) and having a 2.5x larger ammo count would be needed to really make it viable.

In a fight where you have a squad, and you have people on the multiple weapon types, the dual pistols don't really have much advantage aside from perhaps suppression if the hits are heavy enough compared to the smg to make it something you want to avoid - but for the guy you send in as a distraction, or your lone wolf, or the person who simply likes to ambush people, it could be very enjoyable.

I'm also assuming we don't have an instant melee button though, and have to specifically select a knife if we want to engage in melee combat - otherwise that makes the dual pistols less effective if someone can just spam a melee button.

In terms of my play, I want to do 2 things. I will likely focus as an anti-air fighter pilot, and focus on being a sniper when I'm on the ground. I like being a guardian to other players - I was that guy that would pick up the hunting rifle in left 4 dead because it gave me the best ability to save people from hunters and smokers. I may also dabble in being a heavy assault guy since those look like they may be fun - and I've a history of being a rather good tank driver in other games, and really enjoyed being the driver of the 3 person VS suit in lost planet 2, so I may pick up tank driving too depending.

Last edited by Hypevosa; 2012-04-05 at 03:39 PM.