PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Dual wield pistols yes or no?
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-02, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Dual wield pistols yes or no?

Originally Posted by Hypevosa View Post
It takes more skill to hit a moving target the size of pop can once at a few hundred yards than to hit a moving punching bag twice. I'd also argue it takes more skill to hit a pop can that's standing still at a thousand yards than the moving punching bag twice at the same distance unless they're constantly changing accelerations, in which case it becomes 100% luck on the second shot since you're just making a bet as to where they'll be in the second it takes your bullet to travel there.
I understand what you want and I suggested it a while back. Proportional damage based on range. Another person also suggested that one-hit kills would only be possible on moving targets. Putting those together in a believable system would be tolerable. The problem I have is using a weapon outside of it main function. That is using a sniper at close range and hitting someone in the head. That plays into the "luck" category for most players where the distinction between twitch skill and a random shot is ambiguous.

I don't want to derail the thread, but basically the one-hit kill concept takes a lot of gameplay changes to make it work in a fair way.

Originally Posted by Hypevosa View Post
Your 2 hit system becomes one of luck, not skill at the distances I'm hoping to reach out and touch someone's nose from, that's why I have quarrels with it.
Hitting something once from a far range could be luck or skill. Hitting something twice is less about luck and more about skill. You really need to take into account if a target is moving. You make an assumption that the player is already zigzagging. That's not going to be the case. Even in the GDC video we saw a lot of cases where a player is just sitting at at a doorway. Being able to line up your cross-hairs at a doorway at height level and fire bullets in randomly for your "skilled" hits is too tempting in a game like Planetside. Which is precisely why if you played the first you'd realize why the bolt driver was designed as a 2-hit weapon.

That and to a person that is just running across a field and is one-hit that isn't skilled shot. It's on the level of fun in an FPS as getting hit by a flail randomly with no way to respond to it.