PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: "We need a hacker!" - Give LA class the Rek
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-27, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

Re: "We need a hacker!" - Give LA class the Rek

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
Why? Because one has glasses and the other doesn't?

The problem is that hacking doesn't take any equipment in the first place and all infantry can hack. It's still unknown whether all infantry can upgrade their hacking times or if only infiltrators can. We don't even know what all benefits hacking certs will entail. Part of the reason infiltrators get the hacking certs is so they're not a completely lone wolf class. All the classes in the game should have some manner of team play associated with them. That's why I mentioned the target painting; LAs have enough tasks on their plate now without adding something as important as hacking as well. Target painting would be a light weight and useful skill for a class that is able to easily reach vantage points and it compliments the guerrilla, attack-points-of-opportunity design.

I would hardly call LAs cheerleaders at this point just because they lost ammo drops (which probably shouldn't have been theirs in the first place).
Actually because one is smart, wirey, and carries a sub-machine gun and the other is a big dumb jock who carries a a belt-fed machine gun. But the glasses help too.

You're right, the problem IS that hacking doesn't take any equipment and all infantry can do it. That's the problem I'm talking about fixing. Frankly, capping is too easy. Even in DOD:S (which has a MUCH lower TTK, btw) many of the flags at least required more than one player to cap them. If DOD:S can do THAT and still be incredibly fun, then PS2 can have dedicated hackers.

What make LAs plates so full? Running around shooting people? That's a task shared by all of the classes. Frankly, the little guys could stand to do a little more heavy lifting - and heaping the burden of being the "flag bearer" suits that well. Would you like another example, one a little closer to home? Here you go:

One of these guys can turn invisible, sneak behind enemy lines, and cause subversion. The other is really fast, agile, and excellent at capping the flag.

It's a formula that works.

You're also right about spotting being a light-weight skill/task, which makes it great for infiltrators - I'm about to make a new idea topic on that in a minute.

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
People think that jumpjets are cool and for that it's the ultimate ability, but the truth is that it's just increased mobility. That said, i agree that LAs need something to give them an alternative role (different objectives in the battlefield other than hit'n run), but i feel that hacking doesn't fit.

The reason i think Infs are better suited as hackers is because when they sneak in and hack a node, they draw attention from the front lines making the enemy split their attention. The job of a stealther isn't to go in and win the node on their own, it's first diversion: to make the enemy stay on their toes even inside their own base, spread around instead of focused on the front door. And then, once a significant force manages to get inside, the Inf would hack the node again but now the others would be there to help secure it.

The LAs wouldn't be able to get in undetected, they would just draw attention to whichever side entrance they would try to use. That's already their current objective, to flank the enemy... it would add nothing to their responsabilities.

Btw, in another thread that also derailed into "what should we give LAs to replace the ammo", i think someone pointed out that everyone can plant C4, not just 1 class. Can someone confirm or deny that?
What you say about infiltrators getting back behind the line and quick capping for a distraction IS true, but I'd argue that the LA are even better at it. Think about it: not only are the LAs able to jump walls and come at the flag from unexpected angles, but they are visible which makes that task more of a cat-n-mouse exercise. It's almost too easy for infiltrators to get back to the flags because of their invisiblity - which means you basicly have to post someone on the flag all of the time; a job no one wants. At least LAs sneaking into the base have worry about being seen. Everything you said about infiltrators is completely applicable to LAs. And I think you're dead wrong in assuming that any player without invisibility is going to be automatically spotted. Even an HA can be sneaky.

How can you say it would add nothing to their responsibilities? Right now their full list of responsibilities are: Run around and shoot people. Putting hacking on the class elevates them to a whole new level.

I apparently have no idea about C4. Until this thread I thought it was in the hands of the infiltrators (where it should be IMO).

Last edited by The Degenatron; 2012-06-27 at 04:49 PM.