PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Oculus, Facebook and the facepalm of death.
View Single Post
Old 2014-03-26, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Skittles
Sergeant

Re: Oculus, Facebook and the facepalm of death.

Not to get into the whole moral implications of how interaction with others thru a virtual tool is going to be another issue down the road like texting/tweeting instead of true interaction is.

But, exactly how is this such a bad thing for OR and its parent company? Because they wont be focused on 'gaming applications' like you hoped is that the issue? Because, personally, I don't see a lot of upside for them to that application in the long term. The way that would of played out for me, is a device that eventually decreases in size, weight, ect, but is rather fad'ish. Farther down the road we'd possibly have full room designated to 3-D tool for freedom of movement.

The Facebook purchase and the social applications gets them into more houses more people, and more ideas being funneled by creative people not just on their team but world wide. Creating more opportunities for them to expand into areas no-one on their team have yet fathomed.

Essentially, moving OR further and faster than you would have had if it had remained JUST with its parent company, and a gaming device.

Last edited by Skittles; 2014-03-26 at 01:29 PM.