PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA
Thread: News: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-30, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #123
Tactical Pony
Private

Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA

Originally Posted by TAA View Post
I would just love to hear your comment on my views regarding TTK in FPS games.

My views are these:
  • I believe that games with longer TTK favor different sets of skills to games with shorter TTK.
  • Games with longer TTK are more rewarding to the individual skill of players.* It rewards players who are able to make headshots quickly and accurately. It makes it safer for players to cross open ground that is being covered by snipers, and safer for players to charge around a corner that is being guarded by the enemy. It is safer to do these things because less players are able to make the accurate headshots required to quickly put another player down. This promotes more aggressive play, where aggressiveness is defined as players being more willing to cross open ground or charge into guarded areas.
  • Games with shorter TTK are more rewarding to teamwork.* If an entire squad can be gunned down by one person with a single assault rifle clip, then it is imperative that players move together in a more coordinated fashion. Infantry formations that minimize friendly fire and maximize arcs of fire on the enemy become more important. Crossing open ground that is covered by snipers requires assistance of cover (eg. smoke or friendly armor), or flanking maneuvers to take out entrenched enemy. Entering a room that is guarded by enemy requires techniques such as coordinated entry by a squad via multiple access points, or the use of grenades prior to entry.
  • Games that have a TTK that is too low or too high are both frustrating to beginning players. If the TTK is too low the beginning player will get more kills, but they will be too hesitant to move into more dangerous areas lest they immediately die. If the TTK is too high then the beginning player will hardly ever win any close encounters, and will get frustrated when they empty half a clip or more into an enemy only to have them turn around and kill them.

* Note that high TTK also rewards smart play and team work, and low TTK also rewards individual skill - its just that in my view the sets of skills that are favored the most are different in both types of games.

From your experience, is this an accurate view of TTK in games? If not then why not?
I personally find it is the opposite for me, in games with long TTKs I find teamwork to be more important because having 2 guys shooting at 1 makes a bigger difference. in games with a short TTK, I can support the team by killing everyone by being entirely self sufficient and/or carrying them, instead of moving with my team I break off and just run around out-twitching everyone.

in terms of movement I agree though, in long TTK games I feel a little safer wherever I go, where in short TTK games the element of surprise becomes absolutely everything so I am always very thoughtful of my movements, very situationally aware, and always making sure it was me getting the jump on them, because the couple milliseconds of ping before a person even sees they are getting shot at, and the milliseconds after that to react, can literally be the entire battle.