PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: ESF Update Plans via Kevmo
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-02, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
OctavianAXFive
Staff Sergeant

Re: ESF Update Plans via Kevmo

How I'm reading this.

Locust:

This is a ground attack alternative to rocketpods. The current rocket pods can be adjusted to be more like vehicle AP rounds. Meanwhile the Locust can take over the role of infantry mauler. It could be like having a pair of wing mounted banshees, though maybe not quite as potent against armor.

Coyote Missiles:

I'm not sure the current description is much to go off of. I assume these are more like striker rounds; they tickle you to death. I think these are meant to be the "low-skill" weapon against better pilots.

If this is true, then I think it's safe to say that this weapon will have the same kind of drawbacks/advantages as the shoulder mounted terror. Though obviously they only lock-on to air and have much shorter ranges/times.

Assuming my assumptions about the Coyote are correct, I'm already doing this:

Even with a handful of drawbacks this is a nasty weapon that is distinctly easier to use than a nose cannon. Just stick with the current A2A missiles with the new lock-on mechanic.

NS-50 Mass Driver:
We'll see how this plays out because again, the description is very vague.

Some of the more general changes seem fine. No more bailers

I'd really like to see more distinction between ground attack and air attack however. This hybrid stuff just seems unnecessarily hard to balance. I think it takes away from other air vehicles when the little solo vehicle can fight ground and air effectively at the same time.

My personal proposal would be change how the chassis work.

Default: Racer Chassis:
Available Upgrades:
Nose: Default gun
Secondary: afterburner tanks.
This ESF variant is basically like the stock ESF you get now except it defaults to having the racer chassis. (+Top Speed)

Certable: Dogfighting Chassis:
Available Upgrades:
Nose: Rotary
Secondary: afterburner tanks, A2A missiles, Mass Drivers.
This ESF variant is highly maneuverable and designed to dominate the skies. (+Pitch, roll, brakes) (-top speed, hover)

Certable: Stability Chassis:
Available Upgrades:
Nose: ES A2G
Secondary: Rocket Pods, Locust, afterburner tanks.
This ESF variant is designed specifically for ground attack. Primary and secondary weapons can be fired simultaneously. (+Yaw, ascend/descend speed, hover) (-top speed, roll, pitch)

This should give flying an ESF more flavor, though I'd imagine a lot of pilots wouldn't be happy about giving up their ground attack powers for air superiority.

I'm not sure they'd ever go for dividing up ground and air attack. It would make it harder for pilots to provide tangible support to ground offensives if they are stuck with just one attack mode.

My counter to that line of thinking is that a single lone wolf should not be an aerial jack of all trades unless they are willing to make extreme sacrifices; in this case they would have to use the racer chassis.

This should add a combined arms element to the air warfare. The superiority ESFs need to protect the ground pounders. Outfits shouldn't have a problem divvying up tasks and it should make things far more interesting.

As a part of this proposal, I think vehicle users REALLY REALLY SHOULD be able to go to a vehicle terminal and adjust their equipment. Obviously pulling a new vehicle should cost something but changing the loadout of your current vehicle should either be free or cost way less.

Last edited by OctavianAXFive; 2013-07-02 at 11:02 AM.