PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Origin of Forge Light (Speculation)
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-25, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Re: The Origin of Forge Light (Speculation)

Originally Posted by Saieno View Post
EverQuest Next was not the first game shown on Forge Light. They showed a model from EverQuest Next, though Planetside 2's Announcement Trailer was the first shown from within the Forge Light Engine.

That's the first in-engine screenshot ever released for Forgelight. It was released in 2010. That's EQ Next. If you read my statement as "the first gameplay shown in action on Forgelight," I'm sorry you misunderstood me. EQ Next was the game the first demonstrations (in the form of still photos of in-engine renders) used.

Originally Posted by Saieno View Post
As is stated in the video above, Planetside 2 is going to be the first Forge Light game.
Sure, Planetside 2 will beat EQ Next to market. This is because MMORPGs require massive amounts of content generation. Multiplayer-only FPSes are fairly content-light. You don't have to write dialogue for NPCs, you don't have to write quests, and the expectations for things like backstory are completely different between EverQuest and Planetside.

In short, MMORPGs have a development cycle probably averaging 5 years or so, while Planetside 2's development cycle will probably be 3 years, max, and that's being very liberal with where you start counting given the whole Planetside Next -> Planetside 2 development switch.