PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Artillery In Planetside 2
Thread: Gameplay: Artillery In Planetside 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-05, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
DovahTerran
Corporal

Re: Artillery In Planetside 2

In the BF2 mod forgotten hope the system is really good. A scout can request fire with binos and the gunner can then scroll through fire mission requests. They then manually adjust the angles and get an overhead view of the targeted area thus being able to see the fall of shot.
I played Forgotten Hope quite a bit back in the day... The feel of artillery they had there was perfect IMO.

I'm not saying that PS2 is a WWII mod for a mid-2000's game. It isn't. However, I AM saying that in that mod you had to work quite efficiently as a team to make the arty worth using. I you used it effectively, infantry were essentially thrown into a meat grinder while vehicles (which were almost as slow) were put into much the same situation; unless they got into some sort of cover (a building, rock overhangs, etc). If we could integrate that sort of mini-metagame (which as we all know, we ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE NAO CUZ IT ISNT THERE YET!11.. ) it would help satiate the strategy-minded among us, while giving those who don't like frontline combat (or have laggy comps like me) a nice, eventually easy way to still advance gamewise and have fun.

I for one would love being an artillery officer. I often command my outfit or a platoon(s) of mixed units anyway, so I spend way too much talking to be of use in frontline combat. Think Yoda in that EPII scene where he's sitting by the command base with all the artillery, I guess.

PS1's Flail artillery was pretty nice. It had a cool energy trail so you could sort of gauge where the shots were coming from (though with an organized unit controlling the arty, good luck with getting there without dying ), and it had quite a reasonable radius for its' explosion.

Overall, Arty could be a really great addition to the game. Someone else posted in here that SOE want's a fast-paced, actiony game. Arty wouldn't slow that down. The Crown will still be full of helpless noobs looking for a farm. The only difference now is that we could have some arty set up at TI Alloys and make a farm of their own.

Speaking of which.. Who misses the deploy feature for Prowlers? That kindof was like artillery..