PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-31, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #161
Miir
Malvision

Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.

That's why I proposed rotating the footholds roughly once per month so we get some freshness in who is attacking and defending what territory.
This is not a bad idea and it would help slow the issues with static footholds and I could definitely compromise if they didn't want to do a more drastic idea.

The only negatives (for me at least) would be that once you have a spot that cannot be captured you basically give a empire a means to just fall back and hide out in relative safety. This happened in Planetside where players would hide in a warp gate sneak out and attack then run and hide back in the warp gate. The attackers outside the warp gate would either get bored and leave if they could not get the people to come out. Or the people in the warp gate would realize it's a lost cause and leave. Either way that wasn't one of the more fun aspects of Planetside. In PS2 if you happened to push everyone back to the foothold (warp gate) you would not only be dealing with the impenetrable force field of the warp gate but also the zerg. So clearly there would be an advantage to defenders in the areas around the footholds.

The fact that each empire owns a significant chunk of land and can't afford to reach too far into any other territory without facing a double team is what will render a stalemate - not the presence of footholds.
True but the reason the empires can not reach out far is because they eventually hit the side of the map that is harder or impossible to capture due to the foothold. This is my issue.

In order for the foothold to be relevant, the empire must have lost all other facilities on the map and be reduced to just the foothold. That in itself won't render a stalemate. It will make it difficult or impossible to completely remove an empire from the continent, but I would claim that is a good thing to keep the battle raging.
I can agree with this but by keeping the footholds in their current form you are basically locking in an empire to be fighting or defending over the same piece of land. That's what I feel is a stalemate. By removing the footholds you would open up the map making a more fluid and changing battlefield.

I think your image showing planetside 2 in the same configuration day 1, vs year 1 is flat out incorrect and misleading.
Yeah sorry... it was meant to be a bit extreme. It doesn't show all the epic battles that go on. Perhaps I'll revise it.

The TR do have 3 bases. Each empire has 3 in the picture you referenced.
The first set of images did not. I fixed the map.

http://s224245511.onlinehome.us/ps/3.jpg
http://s224245511.onlinehome.us/ps/3a.jpg

Last edited by Miir; 2012-03-31 at 08:21 AM.