PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - [Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-20, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #175
Nemises
Sergeant

Re: [Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR

it's just another input device...
since SOE already have cockpit viewing in game, they just have to allow a device axis to control it (which surely it already must)...then Natural Point have to add PS2 into their list of supported games (so that it detects and loads a profile automatically) and hey presto..

there is allways a trackir on my headset, so I'll for sure be happy to be able to use for cockpit view..

..not interested in an infantry separate head rotate though (ala arma)...guess I'm too used to mouse/keyboard for that..

*edit* the "free view" in the cockpit implies the cockpit is a full 3d object (with depth etc) and not just a flat plane with a crafty texture projected on it..

Some games support trak-ir but don't have 3d cockpits, in which case the supported Axis are just the rotational axis (x and y)

..if however there is a full 3d cockpit, then it could support full 6 degrees of freedom (rotate down/up, rotate left/right, rotate left/right, track left right, track up/down, track in/out)..

..a full 3d cockpit is a large increase in art resource though (if you look at the DCS series for example), as the artists need to build the 3d cockpit objec(s), unwrap and texture them..as opposed to just projecting a cool animated txture onto a single poly..

NFI if sony have built full 3d / 6dof capable cockpits or not, but even just 2 dof will still be good...

Last edited by Nemises; 2012-07-20 at 07:26 AM.