PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - What would you have done differently?
View Single Post
Old 2004-03-05, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
SlyMarbo
Sergeant

Batousai (the man Slayer) you make some good points and other bad points. I agree with you whole hartedly on the opinion of Continents. As for Aircraft and Fuel... i think that can go both ways. the Current Aircraft in PS fly and operate in such a way where fuel is there but the drain is so negligable there is no point in including it. Even Hydrogen Fuel Cells drain their Energy. Heck take it a few further. Even in Star wars and Star trek fuel is considered. in star trek all their ships are designed around the nuclear engine style concept. YOu have enough fuel to go strong for years at a time before depleteing your crystals. In star wars the larger ships use energy harvested from the space around them to refuel. The TIE (Twin Ion Engine) Fighter's wing arrays are actually huge solar panels which catch as much energy as they can at all times in order to charge the reactor. the x-wing actually has to have ground crews charge it's energy cells which is seen occuring in episode 4.

now onto the infintry aspect.

Now your completely off base. Did you even read his post?

Infantry

The game would be extraordinarily lethal to the infantryman when he was outdoors and on foot. This would be his weakest posture. However, I would have made sure the terrain and base design facilitated the thoughtful infantryman. At bases he would find powerful defensive emplacements that take more to neutralize than a guy hiding behind a tree with a phoenix, or even a tank. Over land he would have trees and would be able to pass over terrain that was impassable by vehicles. No more walking around as an infantryman only to be stymied by a 50 degree embankment.

Terrain would be tougher on vehicles, for the most part. The trees would be impenetrable, the mountains unscalable. Infantry would be able to slip through these elements without even asking nicely. Roads would matter, and ground vehicles would move faster over them. Only tracked or hover vehicles would be able to move effectively over certain surfaces, such as snow or sand. Others would slow to a crawl or bog down entirely.
Here are the key exerts for you

powerful defensive emplacements

Over land he would have trees and would be able to pass over terrain that was impassable by vehicles.

Terrain would be tougher on vehicles

The trees would be impenetrable, the mountains unscalable. Infantry would be able to slip through these elements without even asking nicely. Roads would matter, and ground vehicles would move faster over them. Only tracked or hover vehicles would be able to move effectively over certain surfaces, such as snow or sand