PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: The Phantasm
Thread: Gameplay: The Phantasm
View Single Post
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-15, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: The Phantasm

I've always been a fan of a medium-air transport, something with roughly the durability of a Liberator but faster and more agile and capable of delivering roughly half a squad. Essentially a Phantasm from PS1 only without all the cert requirements and having un-cloaked versions. In the resource model of PS2 it would be a very cheap vehicle to help get to the fight faster and improve pacing.

Galaxy is overkill for smaller squads and only being able to pull one from Tech plant or foothold also seems limiting. Air assault on a dime is what a medium air transport would allow.

At that point making it a Phantasm is as easy as adding cloaking to the Utility or Defensive upgrade slot.

They could also add cloaking to a galaxy in this fashion and get both phantasm and classic AMS behavior. It's a significant balance change though and I'd like to see how their current design plays out before advocating that approach.