PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-16, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cockpit View - should it be forced? More options.

It must be forced on.

A mandatory cockpit view (however obtrusive or not it may be) is a challenge that all pilots must overcome.

An optional cockpit view is an obstruction that all pilots can remove. In a game where a player is under continual pressure from a variety of sources to perform to the best of their ability that means most players will feel obligated to disable it, lest they let their friends/enemies/self down.

You all remember the grass. It made the world look nicer. You wanted to have it on. But every time you hit a mine there was that little nag in the back of your head. "You would be doing better if you just turned it off". And so we accepted lower graphical fidelity for a performance boost that was probably negligable anyway. I like to call it the "We can't have nice things" effect.

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
EDIT: I would also like to add that I really hope that my eyes are seeing this right and that the cockpit itself appears to be affected by real-time lighting and shadows as well.
Now that I think about it, they did refer to them as 3D cockpits, so hopefully they do work with the lighting and for 3D glasses.

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
I know how important a clear view from an aircraft will be for video/film makers when PS2 is here.
I have to admit I'd have never thought of that. Maybe the option could be in a gunner seat? The PS1 Lib had a bomber camera that I've often thought would be perfect for filming things from the air. You'd need 2 person camera teams of course.

Last edited by Talek Krell; 2012-04-16 at 08:59 PM.