PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Meaningful Customization & Balance via Tradeoff Decisions
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-03, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Meaningful Customization & Balance via Tradeoff Decisions

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
But 3 months to get within 5 percent.
3 months? Who wants to wait 3 months to get competitive? Already lost players.

The reason they do it is the reason they do it in all games. Its not to make gameplay better. Its to get little addictive hooks in your brain so you play longer and pay more money. RPG has no place in a skill based fps. Never has.
Also a flimsy reason. There are different and better hooks that won't cost them new players (see my OP). They're trading a perceived hook for new players. Not a good tradeoff.

You actually didn't identify any bad behavior in the OP.
You are correct. I described how they could have thier hooks and meaningful customization in a way that scales with the game and isn't detrimental to new players. I didn't want to go into why it is bad, that was already highlighted in other threads (see the 20% thread). I also stated that in the beginning.

You are still going on about how it's just not a big deal and you seem largely indifferent. Why are you easily contented with a mediocre design? Perhaps you think we should be discussing something else? Not important enough? You seem to be going out of your way to convince me there's no problem here but your only argument is not that it isn't a problem, its that it isn't a big problem. Why not give feedback and ideas on how to make it the best it can be instead of just being content with something you see as passable?

Last edited by Malorn; 2011-08-03 at 12:43 PM.