PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Smokejumper says stuff about the patch.
View Single Post
Old 2003-04-24, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Smokejumper says stuff about the patch.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/b...ML/004491.html

Smokejumper says.
I completely understand why that's confusing. Let me try to explain:
1) A patch was pushed that should NOT have gone live because it wasn't tested or even complete. It was just a sample patch we were crunching for size analysis. It was never intended to go live, but got pushed up anyway. (I'm sure whoever did it now lives in fear of visits from upper management.)

2) We had to "reverse" the patch so that anyone that downloaded the "false" patch would get corrected files again when they reconnected.

3) The reversal works...but there is no differential patch to go backwards in the patch process. Therefore, if files were different, it has to download the entire file for each file that needs to change...instead of just the particular bytes that changed in that file.

4) Therefore, the reversal takes longer than the original screw-up. (And there's a lesson in life there, I'm sure...)

5) We're still working on the REAL patch. That won't be ready for hours.

6) However, during the meanwhile, the servers (all of them) are now on-line and available for play.

If we're lucky, Murphy and his stinking Law have left the building and we can get some work done now.

The servers are down. We're nuking and paving stuff because the "fix" that was created earlier for us is not the fix that was necessary.
Ever have one of those days?

The servers are going to be down for a while. I'll post more info in a new thread as soon as I get it.

We will ensure that everything is running smoothly and is ready for you to play again before opening the servers again.

No ETA at all. But the next time they're up, everything should be good to go.