PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Sniper Debate - Once and for All!!!
View Single Post
Old 2002-12-27, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
�io
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by {BOHICA}mistled
I know this is a stupid thing to say here, and I fully expect to get ripped for it, but here goes. Two things.

One.... There shouldn't be any semi-auto sniper rifles. I don't know if there are in this game or not, but there shouldn't be any in any game. All they do is promote wannabe sniping. If you don't hit your target on the first try, you should be moving location so he doesn't kill you. And if you CAN'T hit your target on the first try, put away the sniper rifle and get a machine gun like everyone else. Bolt action single shot rifles are the only way to do it. Sniping should be difficult. And it should be difficult for the following reason....

Two.... one shot should be able to kill anyone. Don't get me wrong here. When I say one shot, I mean one shot between the eyes. None of this "I hit your leg, so you should die" bullshit. I'll even concede that a shot to the back of the head on a max could be deflected enough to require a second shot. But there isn't a pair of goggles in this universe that can withstand a sniper bullet and still be transparent enough to see through. If you get shot in the face, that should be it.

There's a reason snipers are feared in battle. A reason that people hide when they know snipers are around. A reason why they are the most hated and most loved men on the battlefield (depending on who's getting shot at and whose ass is being covered of course). And I'll tell you what. Four hit kills isn't that reason.

Flame on.

mistled
One Shot. One Kill.
Very well said!

However being a possible sniper in the future (and one who does not want to be a 1 man army) i would add 2 little things to your description.

1- On a Med armor it should not be 1 headshot for a kill, more like 2 headshots. On a MAX if you hit anything but the face it should do squat, if you do hit the face i would say about 15%, this means you have to hit the face (very small target) about 7 times without getting killed, not a very easy task.

2-Dunno if you planned it or not but i would hope for sway in the first seconds of aiming. This means you can't run, shoot, run, shoot, you have to stop, kneel (less sway if crouched) aim, wait a bit then fire, then either you get up and run or you stay crouched, aim again and fire. Between shots it should take a good 3-5secs before sway goes down enough to aim good.

All that would make the sniper indeed a worthy foe but only if skilled and you know how to aim good. I love sniping but only if it's realistic, otherwise i guess i'll hop in a tank like the rest.