PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Outfit Bases
Thread: Outfit Bases
View Single Post
Old 2002-12-02, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sytadel
Private

I'm with Hamma. Why? Because essentially it's one step towards making the game an RPG with guns instead of spells.

Firstly, you'd have to hope the outfits are pretty damn big (well over a hundred I'd be thinking), as such to defend against any size attack. I mean, all the enemy needs to do is send a force larger than the outfit to destroy an outfit base (I.e., outfit has 200 members, send a force of 400). With a regular base, however, there's a few hundred thousand potential defenders for the base. I mean honestly, who's going to want to defend the bases of other outfits?

Secondly, the outfit couldn't be a local one. Lets say there's a canadian outfit. They'd all have roughly the same sleeping hours. What happens when 95% of the outfit is sleeping? For one thing, the base becomes a cinch to take. And on that subject, after investing all those BEPs into a base, what happens if it gets taken?

Thirdly, as I've already mentioned, the last thing we want is inter-empire rivalry. All you'd need for this to happen is to have two Outfit's with bases near each other. One is assualted by an enemy, the other might just sit back and defend their own base because they like to see another outfit collapse. It's a rivalry that I think goes against the core reasons that PlanetSide was created.

I think it's an unrefinable idea that goes against the game fundamentals.