PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Linda Carlson on Community and Offensive Players
View Single Post
Old 2013-09-19, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Re: Linda Carlson on Community and Offensive Players

QUOTE: When I first started playing in 1999, it was the most extraordinarily, overtly sexist environment ever," she says when we meet after her talk. "That's one of the reasons I started playing as a male dwarf. I made a female wood-elf, and it was, 'Hey baby, nice rack!' So I made a female human - not as attractive - and it was still just people wanting to cyber. I finally went for a male dwarf, because nobody wants to touch that."

Then below the following paragraph, two sexy near-naked female warriors. In 14 years, boobs have only gotten more detailed and emphasized. If there was supposed to be a transition to make female characters and players feel more comfortable in EQN, it didn't happen. I'm not saying that a player shouldn't have the option to make their character use the mostly-revealing attire options, but that busty cleavage shouldn't be the default on the character creation screen and the focus of many sets of gear.

Nobody should have to make a male dwarf for the reasons listed. I wonder how things would be different if Linda didn't have that experience, and instead stayed as a female elf the whole time. Would the game and community be distinctly different than it is now? Would we see different SOE Fan Faire / Live cosplay?

Last edited by Neurotoxin; 2013-09-19 at 03:32 PM.