PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Science vs Religion
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-05, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #235
Traak
Colonel

Re: Science vs Religion

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
What he said
The issue that I have been dealing with, primarily, is that everyone believes stuff that is written by others that, for the most part he has never met, and are long since dead.

Christians largely believe God as laid out in the Bible. Non-Christians believe other stuff. But almost every single bit of it was written by others.

Calling the writings of YOUR favorite group or person more valid because they are supposedly more "scientific?" Is not necessarily valid. You say there is evidence that God does not exist. I have experiences that prove he does. I don't care whether you believe he exists. It isn't really the issue on which I've been focusing.

The main thing I have emphasized lately is that we all believe what others have told us. Most people, especially non-Christians, don't realize that that is how they are living their life, on belief. They believe a chair will support them if they have never been in the same country as that chair before arriving and sitting on it.

You believe in the people that espouse evolution and whatever, and I believe in God to whom such issues aren't even primary. The main issue with God is "Believe that Jesus Christ is raised from the dead and call him your Lord." That we don't obsess over science is not really important, because our moral system doesn't justify stuff like racism with evolution, etc. I don't murder because it is wrong, morally, not because there is some scientific justification for it.

I don't believe any race is "more evolved" (thus blacks are inferior) like your precious Charles Darwin because God doesn't believe it. Whether evolution is real or not is not the central issue. Life is far more concrete when your morals aren't based on your own convenience and what is more monetarily profitable. I don't have to labor, as some of you do, over questions like "Should I flirt with that married woman? Should I have sex with that girl who has a boyfriend? Should I steal this small thing from this major corporation?" I don't need to. Adultery, fornication, and theft are morally wrong. My decisions are made long before I am in a situation.

But as a non-Christian, the choices must be much harder to justify to yourself, since you don't really subscribe to any universal or concrete system of good and evil. I would hope you would disagree with child sex. But what if they are both 15? Then it's okay in your fluid and unreliable worlds? How about 14? 12? 6? I know, you have your right to pursue whatever you want to in life, because in your worlds, there is no really reliable right and wrong.

But your world is largely defined by the sayings and writings of others. You just subscribe to different "others" than we, the Christians, do.