Thread: Orbital Strikes
View Single Post
Old 2011-06-02, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: Orbital Strikes

I think OSes were A-OK for most of my PS play time.
Personally I'd rather it be more effective but with much longer cooldown.

Adding variety to strategic and tactical satellite based weaponry could be cool. Have the AMS buster OS, that has a small area but pinpoint accuracy with surprise factor that can take out a single vehicle and then a courtyard clearer which is powerful enough to smash some infantry and buggies, not enough to get a healthy tank, but it hits a full courtyard quarter.
You could have an area denial thing that sets a trap OS up on intrusion, but make it detectable so you invite people to go around it, the way you want them too.

I'd like the whole command benefits thing to allow a more tactical, rather than strategic, path. You have command of a squad, you can take out a tank with a pinpoint OS in a quick pinch situation, request a longer barrage over an area that takes time to arrive, get a temporary terminal or a light vehicle dropped to you.

Make people choose, with CR points, between the tactical, squad-scale, track - which would contain things like squad proximity bonuses, tactical hotdrops, EMP, battlefield-level command chats, local radar, enhanced survivability and the pinpoint OS - and the strategic, army-level, track that contains the traditional command chats, base pounder OSes, radar jamming, semi-permanent strategic hotdrops, designating EXP bonus zones to entice people's participation at certain targets.
Levels of upgrades ext.

Then make the timers/usage squad/platoon based. Squad Leaders (who have X people in their squads) are the only ones that can use them...but the squad's timer is based on the longest personal timer of one of it's members. (So you can't just reform or swap squads to reset it)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.