PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - SOE Services Offline
View Single Post
Old 2011-05-03, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Sgt Grizzly
Private

Re: Can't log in?

Originally Posted by LordReaver View Post
It's 2011 and you are still using the old nerd stereotype? Honestly, how is being knowledgeable about computers any different than being knowledgeable about say, cars or football?
just for arguments sake because I'm bored and the servers are down...

yes, in fact, I think the stereotype is true. Computer Programming or whatever it takes to hack is generally reserved for the more academic, less sociable, and more intelligent segment of society - nerds. Emphasis on "generally" since there are always exceptions to every rule. Likewise the demographic that enjoys football could also be lumped into a stereotype - a classification of society people hate to admit exist because of its tie to discrimination and racism. But in fact the two are mutually exclusive as the former is merely an observation and not a reason to dislike someone.

Nothing wrong with being a nerd. The word is often used as a pejorative but it does, however, signify someone who is often beyond average intelligence and that's a good thing. But somewhere along the way, most were blessed with good brains and awkward social skills making them appear strange or just annoying because of things like their insistence on accuracy which can lead to a break in the flow of an easy going conversation by turning it into a fact fest.

I'm 32 and have worked jobs since I was 17. I've seen a lot in my life and the weirdest, uncleanest(yes sadly that needs to be mentioned. Even our rule book felt the need to mention that showers were required of employees at least 3 times a week), most socially inept group of people I have ever worked with were computer nerds at a game testing company. I literally worked next to Morpheus. Except he was white and had a receding hairline...