PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Crashing like a bitch
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-22, 04:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: Crashing like a bitch

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
Every crash sucks (because there is no good time to crash) and the chance to chat first hand with folks who are having trouble is invaluable.

That said, I have some log files to dig through tomorrow morning for certain...

[Sent from the outskirts of the Oort cloud]
The last week I spent all my time tracking down heap corruption in a new install on a customers site, always fun ! The stack traces for the most part were garbage and didn't even point towards heap corruption. In the end gflags caught two very hard to find cases... One driver that was ported from 32 to 64 bit and someone was trying to cast a 64 bit pointer into an int (obviously worked fine in 32, but not 64), dereferencing it later was causing a right mess... The second was some bad bounds checking in an array.

They would have taken forever to find without gflags, If the issues looks heap corruption related i would recommend giving it a whirl. You're probably familiar with the concept. It adds memory blocks before and after your 'new' allocations and monitors for anything accessing them. If it does; it throws a guard access exception at the exact source of the corruption. A great tool that comes with windows as standard ! It does have a pretty big performance hit though in applications that are allocating/deallocating lots of memory often. You can turn it on from command line, PM me if you have any questions .

Might not be of any use to you, but i thought i would throw it out there !

Last edited by Snipefrag; 2012-10-22 at 04:08 AM.