PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Making this work
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-12, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Re: Making this work

Originally Posted by Kouza View Post
Here is my thing, Back when EQ2 came out and decided they would do a monthly subscription they made a SHIT TON of money, because it actually became massive, because people could afford to stay on and Grind.

Now this FTP Model is coming out.... Do you really think all these companies are doing FTP to save you money? This is Sony we are talking about.

15 dollar monthly subscription is fine.... Who cant afford that? honestly? I don`t have a job, and I can afford it, along with my bills. I could afford it even better before I lost my job.

PROS of Monthly Subscription:
1. Hacking- Not many people like to pay money on a game they are banned from. Gets rid of a lot of hackers.

2. Maturity- Lots of little kids cant afford it, you end up with older players, who network to other older players about the fun they are having.

Pros of FTP

1. Little johny whose mom wont give him 15 dollars a month can play, and get cr5, and global about how he likes gum balls.

2. Hackers can fuck up, and create an extra account.

3. You end up having to pay 15 dollars a month any way, unless you want to spend twice the time grinding, not be able to customize your character the way you want to, Spec certain trees, use certain items, The list goes on.

I played World of tanks. It was fun, I will give it that, I felt like I was paying less when I shelled out 6.99 at a time instead of 15 every month. The truth was when it came down to it, The premium account (the thing you need to actually get decent EXP) cost 15 a month. Then you had to pay to "Convert Experience", meaning if you used your T-34 (Tier 5), and Got to the T-34-85 (Tier 6), You had to pay money to receive any sort of benefit from the T-34 after that, unless you wanted to play it with no gain.

FTP sucks.... Companies use the business model for a reason... Not because it saves you money.
No one here wants complete free form F2P, and only F2P.

Hackers would still be non-existent if PlanetSide 2 were F2P if you had to pay 60 dollars to buy the game. No hacker is going to pay 60 dollars for the game and get banned. To make it so he can't just keep making station accounts have your station account get signed to your copy of the game via its CD Key, thus not allowing you to play on other accounts with the same copy, meaning the hacker would have to shell another 60 dollars to hack again.

Those problems are extremely prominent in games like Silk Road, FlyFF, and pretty much every other Korean grindfest MMORPG out there that you can download for free, and play for free, but PS2 won't be like that.

Most people here advocate some form of F2P (maybe limited to BR or a slow EXP gain) with the option of purchasing a monthly subscription. I myself have proposed being able to purchase 40 hours for a set fee as well for people who don't play enough in one month to justify paying a monthly subscription. The cash shop is added in only for cosmetic stuff so it won't be pay2win or pay2gainEXPfaster.

I agree that those problems you mentioned are really bad in COMPLETE F2P games, but PS2 won't be completely F2P. At least I hope it won't.