PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Can anyone still stomach this game anymore?
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-22, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Death2All
Major

Misc Info
Re: Can anyone still stomach this game anymore?

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I was just playing today and it was awesome.

Blowing the generator and tubes has always been a key factor in taking a base.

I never liked the grenade spam but I've only seen it in stalemates recently.
Blowing the gen and tubes has always been a key factor. However, blowing the gen was always looked down upon. It was kind of the "bitch" way out of a base. When you used to do that people would scold you for it. It was the very last thing you did if you were fighting over a base for HOURS.

That concept has been washed away and it's become so common that no one cares anymore. It's so consistent that it's desensitized everybody to the point of not caring. Personally, I'm always against blowing the generator, I thought it was a lame concept added to end the fight quickly but sometimes it's legitimate. If a cloaker sneaks in and blows the gen during a stalemate to help his team push in and the enemy team can't get it up, then they deserve to lose that base. Doing that or perhaps blowing the gen far away from the battle to take away the enemies tech is the only other time I feel it's legitimate to blow the gen.

I rarely, if ever see them blown with this consensus however. The basic mentality is a force will show up and INSTANTLY go for the gen. Completely ignoring the CC or tubes and end the fight as quickly as possible. That's extraordinarily lame. In most cases the defending team is outpopped, that's what makes it so easy for the team to blow the gen. When it's a large fight with an even percentage of players when it actually calls for legitimately blowing the gen, they can't because the defenders have to be so adamant on defending the gen.

Perhaps tactics are changing. They always have been throughout the game's entirety. My only problem is that it's become such a dumbed down borefest that it makes it hard to get any enjoyment out of the game. I'm sure I contradict myself a lot saying sometimes it's fair to blow the gen but not when it's against me, but I think there should be a certain moral code people follow just for the sake of the game not sucking ass.

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
Vehicle campin is not lame, its smart. You cant hold a door with infantry, you need vehicles.
I don't have a direct problem with any of the issues I mentioned (besides maybe gen blowing), I said that it was the "extent and consistency" that bothered. Having a tank camp a door so keep people from pushing out is a normal strategy which I have no problem with, so long as the enemy force is actually pushing in. Too many times have I been at a base or tower only to see on the radar legions of MBTs, Lighting, Reavers, Mossies, BFRs and Libs all pointed at the door and not a single red dot on the ground. What the hell? Is it REALLY that fun to stare a doorway hoping that a person will open the door and by luck with all the other tanks shooting you might get the kill? Well I can't go an judge people's playstyles, but maybe to some it is...

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I completely agree. The only reason I still have a sub is because of my outfit. Really fun group of people to play the game with. If I was not in an outfit, I would have left over a year ago. The other reason I'm still subbed is for a beta invite...

Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
I recently returned to PS. If you are playing solo then you will probably not enjoy the game. I try to start or join a squad every time I play. I always have fun once I start working with a group.
Originally Posted by Effective View Post
It's alright if you have competent friends to play with and even then it's still difficult to play, since "winning" is very important to some people. Otherwise I play Quake:Live, Starcraft, CS/TF2.
In this game's current state, I completely agree. You need a group to play with. There was a time you could solo in this game but that is no more. There are far too many cheap tactics that have become the norm to warrant playing solo.

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Winning is fun for me.

Considering that a majority of my adult life has been spent wearing a uniform and carrying a weapon, I understand the concept of warfare as: find what crushes the enemy's morale and do it so they don't want to fight. Then do it some more. And if you find a dead little fucker, do it again. Keep doing it. I also understand the value of overwhelming firepower and brute force. So I keep doing that, too. I die a lot, but I accomplish my goals a lot. In Planetside, these concepts are applicable especially if you want to win. So they are done, and they are done a lot. Like I said, winning is fun for me.
The only issue I have with this is that there is no end goal in Planetside. There's no ultimate reward for winning. In fact, the game is unwinnable. Even if you were capture every base, tower continent and cavern, you'd get nothing. People are ultimately pushing toward a goal with no meaning at the sacrifice of everyone else's enjoyment.

On the other hand, people such as yourself (and I'm not saying that in a condescending way mind you) enjoy winning. Perhaps capturing bases and having the map colored in your favor in enjoyable to you.

So this thread is pointless. People will play how they want to play regardless of what you tell them. Some people play for the enjoyment of others and some for themselves.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON