PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: "Crater" Zone / Sector
Thread: Gameplay: "Crater" Zone / Sector
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-21, 05:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
ConsPark
Private

"Crater" Zone / Sector

Disclaimer: I'm short on ideas for exact details, so I'm presenting this as a general idea for discussion.

If you've ever played the MMORTS Shattered Galaxy, you may remember a sector at the center of the world map referred to as "crater".

Much like PS2, the world map in SG was divided into sectors. Control of sectors meant that after your faction "completed the war" by gaining a certain number of points, your faction was awarded uranium based on how much territory it controlled. Crater, at the center of the map, was worth the most out of all of these sectors.

Crater helped to break up the normal randomness of battles in SG. It was a high-value sector and thus a high-value target. Taking it with your regiment, typically being outnumbered two to one or more, was a presitgious thing on top of benefiting your faction as a whole. It also gave a faction a goal beyond "hey guys let's wander the map til we find a battle."

I think a similar idea may lend itself well in PS2. Perhaps this sector at the center of the map offers a large amount of every resource, or a percentage bonus to all resource gains for your faction. Perhaps it could feature a lockout timer. Once a faction controls Crater, it is theirs for 24 hours until it's open to attack again. Prior to that, it can serve as a Sanctuary-like staging area for pushes into the rest of the continent.

Thoughts? Flames? Cookies, or maybe pie?