PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Jackhammer
Thread: The Jackhammer
View Single Post
Old 2003-06-16, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
ColdbringeR
Corporal

People seem to be ignoring the fact that the Jackhammer requires four certification points to use. If they brought it down to three, then by all means, nerf away. As it is now though, you get what you pay for. I often feel that the reaver is overpowered, but when i think about whet they have to pay to use it, my opinion changes.

I've seen people try to complain that distance is no issue with the jackhammer, when you use surge. I'd like to counter this argument with saying that if you use surge against someone with a jackhammer, it is quite hard for them to hit you, due to the slowish rate of fire. Whether you're merely using surge to keep your distance, or to circle around them. Surge helps both sides greatly, making this argument quite pointless.

I've also seen people claim that they cannot turn around fast enough to counter it. If the person using the jackhammer is close enough to you to kill you before you can turn around, then you'd probably be dead anyway with any of the other heavy weapons. Chaingun unloading into your back? Yeah, i'm sure you'd be able to turn around just in time to see the gleam in your attacker's eyes as he saws you in half.

Distance is still (and always will be) a major issue with the jackhammer. Most people don't realize how many enemies carrying jackhammers they've probably killed from a distance. Jackhammer vs. Sniper anyone?

I do have an idea that would make all three of these heavy weapons more balanced though. I think the running speed of someone carrying a heavy weapon should be decreased slightly. Even when it's not equipped. This would make all of these weapons a bit more stationary, and it would help prevent some of the the annoying cases of people carrying any of these weapons just surging around and raping everyone.