PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Ideas for the "Rich get richer" problem
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-23, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Ideas for the "Rich get richer" problem

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Alternatives I like for this are making it more difficult to hold the territory, which means its more easy for the underdogs to retake it. A discount system as opposed to a welfare system would be another way to give them a hand-up until they established a reasonable foothold.

Having empire missions generated automatically favor attacking a larger-population faction on a continent would help avoid the worst-case scenario. If those empire-generated missions are lucrative enough that would hopefully be good encouragement without forcing anything.
I agree that the welfare system is a bad idea and those 2 solutions (discount+missions) are a good idea.

e.g. by controlling TR 40% of territory, you are naturally getting more resources. Then a modifier could apply where:
- NC 30% / VS 30% = 1 so no penalty
- VS 20% / NC 40% = .5 so 33% at 100% return and the remainder 7% at 50% return
I don't think a system that penalizes people for conquering territory is a good solution. Holding more territory should always be rewarding.
The thing is that you would not be penalized for taking territory against 2 empires at the same time. You would just get less if captured it while taking advantage of a double-team.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-03-23 at 12:07 PM.