PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Ideas for the "Rich get richer" problem
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-23, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Graywolves
General

Re: Ideas for the "Rich get richer" problem

Could provide a resource gain buff to empires that are on the ropes and have very little territory. This would have to be balanced to NOT be equal to that of the largest empire because that would defeat the purpose of grabbing territory.

I have an idea where the hex's closest to the safezone's/warpgates/empire footholds/w.e could be deemed as the "Home territory" and this territory could be harder to grab or just produce more resources the more it was encroached on but less to the opposing empires if they did take it. Unfortunatley this would probably encourage factions to NOT fight there as the physical reward of resources would be greater elsewhere.

Perhaps something could be done like WC3's system of 'Upkeep'. In WC3 when you had so many units you were basically tax'd on your income or something (been forever since I played). What we could do is give a Tax to the incoming resources after a certain empire has reached a certain amount of Hex's under their control. This would encourage an empire with the most territory to play more defensively if they were being attacked but their gain would not stop with the more territory they had, they would only have their income not grow as large as it normally would.

I think an Upkeep or Tax would work well. If you make it work with specific resources it could provide a stronger meta-game in predicting where the enemy will go based on what resources they mostly control and the richer empire's commanders will see a stronger benefit in grabbing other resources than that which they are monopolising.

( VS have the majority of Auraxium, Normally for each auraxium node they control they have 25gain per minute as an empire. Future Auraxium nodes will only provide 20/15)

You don't stop the rich from earning or being rich, just curve it so that they don't become too powerful.