PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside 2 Needs Prone
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-01, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Fuse
Sergeant

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Removing prone when games have had it for years(therefore, not just "modern" FPS) is being done specifically for the purpose of stopping prone because some people want to force others to run and gun and duel them out in the open. Forcing may not always be bad but when it's done to promote one legit gameplay style over another, it's bad.
Who cares if other games let you prone? I'm not playing Americas Army, why steal features from other games if you don't feel they serve a distinct purpose in yours? Lots of games have bullet penetration, too, but I don't see that in any of our feature lists.

You think this is why they did it to ruin your play style. Some other random players think this is why the did it. Did anyone from the PS2 team say, "We're not doing prone because we want you to always be moving"? I don't think so. There are more factors than I care to list or could probably come up with that go in to this decision. The bottom line is that it adds little and requires a game to be designed with it in mind, not to mention the frustrations in game play that will arise because of it.

Besides, you can prone in CoD, it hasn't stopped anyone from running and gunning.

Not directly related: If a game's designers want a game to play a certain way then they design the mechanics to FORCE the player to play that way. Almost every design choice that goes in to a game is about either encouraging or forcing a player to act a certain way in at least some aspect.