PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Issue of the 10%-20% Power Differentiation
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-30, 01:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Crazyduckling View Post
Although I have not read through this thread, I don't see a problem. I would like some advancement for my character, and I don't think that 20% is a big deal. Fighting in a persistent world is cool, but I would like to see personal benefits as well.

In the end, the game still comes down to skill.
Yeah man I never once stated that we should remove player advancement. Merely suggested that it should not be in the form of raw power.

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I basically said that's a very real thing that could happen where a new player that just logs in for the first time might find their character unspecialized. It's kind of something they'd expect that would go away as the begin playing.

I'm seeing the cert system as a huge trade-off between many epic choices. So an infantry could just as easily be awesome at destroying tanks as anything else in the game could specialize to kill something else. The idea being though that I hope there are so many choices that there is no best. Like I said in IRC a few days ago I want someone to do something and go "oh sweet. Good thing I have X." then die another time and go "oh man I wish I had Y I could have used it".
I feel ya, I just happen to think that those scenarios at the end of your post can still happen even without power upgrades.

I mean a guy can sacrifice reaver armor/damage for speed/maneuverability, and end up killing a high damage dealing/armored reaver due to this, and be like "woot, I'm glad I have this agile reaver!" Then that same guy can go and try and kill a heavily armored tank with its weak rockets. The tank might either drive back to where its close to its empire's AA or just escape altogether and the guy might say, "Geez I wish my reaver had more damage/armor so I could've followed that tank a bit longer and got the kill".

Last edited by Ghryphen; 2011-07-30 at 02:21 AM.