PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - "Endboss vs competitive combat"
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-28, 07:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
kadrin
Sergeant

Re: "Endboss vs competitive combat"

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
A thought that depresses me in my darker moments is that most people who play computer games don't, when it comes down to it, actually want a game where they have to think to be able to play.

The original PS1's beauty was that it bridged the gap and gave the clever bods lots of "friends" to play with. In my opinion there is a strong inverse relationship between game complexity and potential player base. Drive away the ones who are not interested in coordinated game play at your peril. There are less people who want to "get organised" when they play a game than you might think.
I thought PS1 handled this quite nicely as well, you could always just instant action (which needed some tuning, because spawning at the closest tower when it just happens to be on the other side of the continent was bad), and you had the HART which allowed you to pick any hotspot to go to. They even reduced it's timer from 15 minutes to 2, anyone remember those days? Made you want to cry when you missed it.

But this whole, play a game without thinking mentality is what creates issues. It's like if Blizzard balanced Starcraft 2 by looking at Bronze league games instead of looking at grandmasters or the GSL/MLG. You can't balance a game around those unwilling to think. Unfortunately those unwilling to think are the ones that spend their money blindly on any new shiny game, and greatly outnumbered the rest of us.