PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - "Endboss vs competitive combat"
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-28, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: "Endboss vs competitive combat"

That's the thing, a lot of people design units out of how THEY want to use stuff. They look at what THEY want to do with it. Self-centered design won't work. If I was just thinking of my perspective, I'd not consider the zerg perspective too much, same for aircav. I realise however that these players are valuable to the game and it's vebry important to design the game such that they can play (without beocming too dominant). However, I fear the devs may be doing the opposite and underappreciate the unbalanced pop situations a bit by catering too much to zerg.

Providing stronger units to be more readily available with more territory (thus resources), next to more players reduces the competing strength of smaller pops. The resource system can indeed be a restriction, but to who? The larger pop or the smaller pop?

Normally with low power distance you can isolate and funnel enemies and change the odds that way: You can apply "Divide and Conquer", somehow cutting large enemy groups into smaller groups you can handle.

With huge "teamwork/endboss" units, this is however impossible as you cannot "Divide and Conquer" a Galaxy Gunship.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-05-28 at 08:02 AM.