PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - GTX460 sli for $130 or a single card
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-17, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Re: GTX460 sli for $130 or a single card

The performance impact of a SLI configuration depends directly upon the CPU/GPU work ratio. You may or may NOT get a significant performance increase for any game if you keep the same resolution, but you often can increase the resolution "for free" when you upgrade to a SLI setup.

If you're running at, for example, 1440x900 (an intermediate wide screen res) at 45fps you probably won't get to 90fps going to SLI, but you probably can go to 1920x1080 without loosing any frame rate and potentially getting slightly better overall frame rate.

Most games don't really expose (directly) their GPU/CPU work load ratio but you can work it out using some tools out there in the interwebs.

The biggest change you will see is going from 1920x1080 (2 million pixels) to 2560x1600 (4 million pixels) - that's the sweet spot for multi GPU configurations - double the res and install SLI and your performance should not go down - but your cooling bill may go up.