PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - NC just doesn't understand
View Single Post
Old 2003-04-15, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Vash
Staff Sergeant

Given the length of this thing and my bad mood, I'm not sure what else I can really add to this... but I'll at least touch on remarks that I found silly

(disclaimer: The below are opinions generated by a bad mood. It's not my goal to piss off anyone, but if I manage to, I appologize in advance. There will also be a lot of quoting/'post disecting, so if that kind of post annoys you, skip it)

Requiring the Phoenix's shooter have LOS basically makes the weapon useless. Once you pop up, aquire your target and fire, you're basically sniper fodder until you fly your missiles to the target. The Striker, obviously doesnt have this problem since you can run around, dodging fire while your missiles hit home.

3 NC soldiers grab phoenixes and take out the AMS without any work, shooting from the safety of the base
You parked too close and/or out in the open. Try again
It's not like you can kill an AMS with just a handful of Phoenixes either. It takes steady fire even from the Vanguard to kill one.
Also worth mentioning that you cannot see the 'cloak bubble' through the Phoenix's camera.

phoenix can be used against infantry
Yes, but it's a huge waste of ammo. The only infantry worth targetting with a Phoenix are snipers, and even then it's only a feeble attempt to drive them away.

Phoenix is my MAJOR beef with the game, and as some people said, I will not buy the game if it stays as is.
I could say the same about the mini-chaingun, and like the phoenix, I'm sure I'm not alone. As it stands that thing has firepower on par with a MAX.
(I wouldnt actually not buy it, I'm far too addicted to it already )
Also, I dont feel the Jackhammer needs a "significant boost." It just needs to have an effective range greater than 'spitting distance'

First off, the phoenix does more damage with a single rocket than either of the remaining two anti vehicle weapons. It takes 5 strikers to kill a reaver, 15+ for an AMS. carrying 3 crates of striker missiles, I can only take out 2 reavers, 3 maxes and not even a single AMS
First off, that's the whole point. The NC is supposed to do more damage per shot.
Carrying 3 crates of Phoenix missiles, I can only take out 3 reavers, and 3 maxes. I cant comment on the AMS since I've never attacked one without at least half a dozen people (at CLOSE RANGE), often with either armor or air support. But I'd be willing to bet I couldnt 'solo' and AMS with 3 crates either, heh

A side arm would do a MUCH better job than the striker [against infantry].
A sidearm would be better than the phoenix against infantry as well... 9 AMP bullets vs half a dozen phoenixes...

It's the issue of grief points. It's much easier to get grief points while in a close quarters battle, than when you are lobbing rockets over a hill and sniping with the medium weapon which also works well in close quarters.
Lobbing rockets over a hill doesnt capture a base. The Lasher and Chaingun also own the Gauss in CQB.
And if/when the Jackhammer becomes worth using, an auto-shotgun isnt going to magically avoid hitting friendlies either, you know.

A load of NC get up on a hill way to taf to be hit with a CG and fire pheonix's all day long. We where in a tower and the NC where firing from an AMS from a distance away so ammo was unlimited.
They where hitting the door one after another and 3 shots to a full health max and you are dead. Well when you have 4-6 people firing these one after another step in the door once and boom you are dead.
- PR24
Maybe you should've stopped running out the door then? Get a handful of people together to either go out the backdoor or spawn somewhere else and flank their asses. Or how about sending a few reavers on a strafing run on their AMS? Either way you'll likely be successful, considering they're concentrating so hard on your tower's front door

One fact remains, the Phoenix is still artillery, its a weapon that does not require LOS, something that the dev's were against since day one.
I'm personally suprised its still in the game myself - Hamma
Agreed, and if they're going to, they'd better change it pretty damn quick before beta ends... otherwise they'll just be pissing off legions of customers.

Expanding on the whole 'phoenix = artillery' thing, it's entirely too easy to knock out spitfires with it. All you have to do is fly over the wall or through the front gate to knock them out without fear.
I admit I've done this more than a few times myself, and it must be hell for my fellow engineers on the other teams

Though maybe giving Spitfires the ability to shoot down Phoenixes would help the whole artillery issue... <shrug>

Either way, that's enough of that for one post...

Sorry if my opinions rub any of you the wrong way

We're nothing like God. Not only do we have limited powers, but we are sometimes driven to become the devil himself.