PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Resolved - PS2 Region
Thread: News: Resolved - PS2 Region
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-21, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #171
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
I think you underestimate the importance of PS1 being a subscription based game.

World of Tanks is free to play and the language barrier is a severe issue with all the Eastern Europeans coming on there (Polish, Czech, Hungarians, Serbians, etc). Those people couldn't afford to pay for PS1. If they even heard of it.

The problem with many of these Eastern Europeans (not all, luckily) is low education in terms of language (no secondary language), only recent connection to the internet and having NO internet etiquette whatsoever. Worse, there are many outright REFUSING to speak English in public chat ("No, you learn my language you colonist @$(@&$!", because they associate it with the way the Russians tried to force Russian language onto them. And some of them can get quite touchy about it, especially the Balkan populace who "don't want to potentially talk with their enemies".

As said though, those with a higher level of education often apologise for their countrymen. Can imagine they hate being stereotyped as anti-social xenophobes.

If PS2 is going to use a lot of in game local voice chatter systems... It's going to be very annoying with so many players. Any time you're in the vicinity of a foreign outfit, you're going to wish you hadn't come there. Similarly, any global channels may get filled with banter worse than what we saw from the CNs.
As a hungarian PS player I have to refuse your arguments! Language barrier really is an issue, but there is no refusal to use forign languages because of poor associacions of former russian rule... It is always lack of personal language skills no matter what they may try to reason with...

And about netiquette. It's not about "recent internet penetration" - as it has penetrated at the same time as in the rest of the world, or with a 1-2 years delay. It's about the fact, that there are a lots of inmatures gaming but way fewer matures. An average eastern-bloc gamer is way younger and we all know how a young gamer can behave (or rather: can't behave himself).

I don't apologise for them - actually I blame them for being a dick - but the world is not that black/white (or red/white) that you may presume anymore.