PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Devs - Past mistakes and Teamwork (History is important!)
View Single Post
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-13, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Devs - Past mistakes and Teamwork (History is important!)

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Players can really only be trusted to break the game. Little else. Sure, one hopes they collect feedback and use that to guide their decisions, but a balance decided by players would be horrid. They are, in general, far too blinded by self interest.
I would have liked the opportunity for very early BFR design feedback. By the time players were informed the train had already left the station.

I don't like polls becuase I think ideas should stand on their own merits and not be subjected to the mercy of the masses. And polls can be easily misconstrued and affected by wording quite substantially. They're just plain misleading. But still a good argument with some sound reasoning and a devleoper willing to read it and consider it could have prevented the poor implementation of BFRs and we might have gotten something more workable that didn't throw the game into upheaval.

(And I agree with your assertion that the implementation was bad, not the idea. BF2142 is evidence of this...they had a mech in that game and it was strong but not that much stronger than a tank and had its own advantages/disadvantages. The shielding & jumping were the monumental mistakes of BFRs IMO)