PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Trayvon Martin
Thread: Trayvon Martin
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-23, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #445
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Re: Trayvon Martin

I'm made very uncomfortable with the idea that somehow wearing a hoodie makes you 'suspicious', and that someone who is not a police officer can confront you, while armed, as a result.

It's like saying that women who dress in revealing clothes who then get sexually assaulted are somehow to blame for what happened to them. It's a common feeling held by people, and it is wrong, wrong, wrong.

We live in a free society. We are allowed to wear whatever we like and behave however we like insofar as we are not harming anyone. And to fend off any potential straw men, yes of course there are things you can wear that can cause harm; a Hitler costume in a synagogue or a KKK robe at a hip-hop concert and so on; there are things you can wear that can incite violence. But that wasn't the case with his hoodie. If you disagree with me on this, I'm sorry, but you're wrong and I'm not really sure I could be convinced otherwise. I'm not sure what society you wish to live in, but it's not a free one, nor one I would want to have anything to do with.