PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Vehicle refunds
Thread: Vehicle refunds
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-23, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Re: Vehicle refunds

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
A refund for accidental pulls, say 30 seconds is appropriate, but nothing after that. You pay resources for the power of a vehicle. You get to run around and own with your aircraft/vehicle, you don't deserve a refund for it. If you keep it alive a long time, great, your reward is not having to buy another one yet. Refunds would skew the entire balance of having to pay resources.
Pretty much this. The use of resources is the economic cost you pay for being able to pull and use a customized vehicle more suited to your playstyle, presumably with the result of making you more combat effective. Once you start using that vehicle you are in essence "getting your money's worth."

I'd only be okay with giving out refunds for accidental pulls. But TBH I'm not sure if that will even be an issue with the PS2-style vehicle acquisition screens.

Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
On the flip side, people would care a whole lot more about keeping their vehicles alive rather then wasting them on reckless behavior.
I'm not sure I'd call that a flip side. It's hard enough to get people to push forward as it is. And sometimes "reckless behavior" is exactly what's needed to get the job done.

But by offering refunds for vehicles even after they've been used in combat, you run the risk people playing it too safe for fear of losing the chance to get their refund later on when they no longer need that vehicle. So they'll sit back and spam, won't push forward when they need to, and run away for repairs at the first sign of a door ding. Besides, We already have an initial resource cost to help curtail needlessly reckless behavior. I'd rather people feel free to take the necessary combat risks when needed once they've paid the price for the initial acquisition.

In addition, I fear offering refunds will make people more reluctant to leave their vehicle in the first place once the fight moves inside the base, much like what happened with BFR's while they still had the huge timer (45 minutes IIRC). People won't want to leave their vehicle unattended for fear of it getting destroyed and the potential for refund getting lost so instead they'll just sit outside in their cozy vehicles and spam instead of getting out and actually taking the base.