PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside 2 is a major disappointment
View Single Post
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-10-17, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Planetside 2 is a major disappointment

Originally Posted by yonman View Post
There's one more thing that should be considered about the PS1-PS2 gap (part of what Malorn dubbed "Player customization".

PS1 allowed a player to immediately gain access to anything he wanted. Want HA at BR6? no problem. You gave up everything else in the game but you had your Lasher/Hammer/Minigun ready to blast away.
Mossie? No problem. Advanced medic? go ahead.

You could, reasonably, get anything you wanted and be anything you wanted at the click of a few certs. Granted you'd be specialized at low BRs but tbh, that's the point I enjoyed PS1 the most.

In PS2 you grind for anything which isn't the default load out. tbh2 - I'm fine with it as it is. I personally think the default weapons for the classes I play are more than enough. Variety would be cool but I was never one to dash after the unlocks in any game.

However, I can hear my outfit mates groaning on TS - "Ye guhds, 12K to get a new gun for the liberator?!". I know that being a support player it'll take me around a month to make that much. Others are not as inept as I am at the shooty-shoot ... but still. I think PS1 vets are unused to grinding. Most of us have not had to grind since we got our BR20CR5 toons 8 years ago. That's a hard thing to let go of.
In PS2 you can do any role and drive any vehicle you want at any rank/level. Its even more open than PS1 was in that regard. The cert time is going to be increased in the future, and guns are moving to certs for unlocks to help with the grindiness. Smed also said the cert rate is going to increase on the order of ~4x.