PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - ADS view movement (the scope "lagging" behind) in PS2 vs BF3 (short video)
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-03, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant

Re: ADS view movement (the scope "lagging" behind) in PS2 vs BF3 (short video)

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Well I didn't bring ARMA into this, SturmovikDrakon did.

"PS2 takes it way overboard IMO, compared to ARMA2 and even BF3"

If he thinks that PS2s aiming is anything like ARMA 2 then he doesn't play ARMA 2. It's part of the sim-ish things PS2 does. In PS2 bullets fire from the gun and it needs to be the thing that moves to affect and show recoil, movement affecting aim, high COF from near explosions, and more or less anything that affects aiming ADS or by hip. In BF bullets come out of the screen and don't take the gun into account, that makes it an arcade shooter.

Watch some videos on BF3 and you'll see that even though the guns move all over the place when the player moves it never affects the bullets path. It's also the reason you can fire over top of cover in BF3 with just the top of your head exposed and not your weapon.

PS2 isn't just another arcade FPS that everyone has been forced to play for the last few years. It combines sim and arcade elements to make itself its own game. That's why I love it. The game makes you think that you're in a war and not an ungodly trooper. You need to play as a human who is getting shot and killed in the unknown hell that is war. Become better or die. Learn from the deaths and take your time to make the right choice.

Then again Iv played Day Z for near 300 hours since I learned about it and am more than likely biased in ways to the sim parts. Me putting 300 hours into one game is to fucking huge for me to get a grasp of when I don't put more than 20 in most other games.
I mentioned ARMA completely offhandedly. Your weapon doesn't drag behind when you're standing still in a sim, why should it do that here?

I don't consider it a good balancing act (also this feels completely wrong to anyone who has held a rifle before), there are many more ways to balance CQC without impairing the aim of the player. People have already mentioned ways to balancing it in the Reddit thread

Besides this is also one of the major reasons people use IRNV scope over anything else in close combat, because it completely negates the rules by which other scopes behave since it's just a static image.

Leave it the way it is and people will continue picking IRNV over anything else

Last edited by SturmovikDrakon; 2013-02-03 at 06:49 PM.