PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - YouTube Faction Based Ad Campaign
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-04, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zalmoxis
Sergeant

Re: YouTube Faction Based Ad Campaign

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
Being a PC exclusive and not having the marketing might of EA, let alone the long lineage of the Battlefield series, I would be VERY surprised if Planetside 2 garners a "much, much larger player base".

Don't get me wrong -- I would like to see that happen, I just doubt it will. Thus, this YouTube channel initiative sounds like a good, cost effective social media strategy.
Do you think that LoL developers had even as much as the PS2 devs did, in terms of fame or marketing? Not even close ( I know because I was there before the CBT of LoL and during it). And yet, LoL is bigger than any EA game will probably ever be simply because of the business model.

Since FPS games have a much bigger fanbase than Dota ever did, it's safe to assume that a market changing game such as PS2 with the exact same business model as LoL cannot fail unless the devs screw up REALLY big. I am going to say this now but good luck to the guys in charge of server maintenance at the open beta launch.

Take a look at WoT. The devs and community managers are pure crap. And yet, they get more and more players because it's free and unique. PS2 is unique and has a much better grasp with the community that WoT ever did.

My point here is that PS2 cannot fail. It's impossible.